Thursday, September 4, 2008

What's In A Name?

For as long as I can remember my parents have called me "bean." I'm not sure how old I was when the nickname started. I must have been pretty young because I have very few memories of being called by my first name, unless we were having a serious discussion (probably because I did something I shouldn't have). By the way, my first name is Alima. Pronounced Aleema. You can probably see why "bean" was an obvious nickname. The spelling leads a lot of people to pronounce my name A-LIMA, like the bean. So Lima-bean became Leema-bean, Leemie-Bean and then, most commonly, just bean.

I am almost 27 years old now and my parents, along with quite a few other relatives still call me bean. A little silly, I know, but it just stuck and it seems there's no stopping it! It used to bother me when I was a kid because I felt embarrassed in front of my friends by my silly nickname. Looking back now, I see that all kids are embarrassed by their parents, nickname or not!

Turns out my family members aren't the only ones who love nicknames! Before my husband and I even dated 2 weeks he had already given me my first nickname. 7 years later, we could fill a large book with all the nicknames he's given me over the years - each one with their own little story on how they originated! The current nickname is "nugget" in case you are curious :)

When I started my bake shop I pondered on the name for several weeks. Naturally, my husband suggested I use one of my nicknames. I wasn't sold on that idea until he mentioned "vanilla bean." I immediately loved it! Vanilla is delicious, everyone loves it and I use it in almost everything I bake. The fact that vanilla comes from a vanilla bean, which allowed me to incorporate my nickname, was just too good to be true!

And that was it - Vanilla Bean was born!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to say again, adorable story :)

Vanilla Bean Organic Bake Shop said...

Thanks Amber!

Rocki Adams said...

I think it's a very fitting & catchy name!

Mmmm... I can smell your shop from here :)

Great new blog!

Rocki

Kay said...

looks like a good start for a blog. I also enjoyed the story.

I also just started a blog/website today. Check it out if you like...

http://web.me.com/kspihlmann

Unknown said...

I can't remember when we began to call you Bean either, but you were teeny tiny when we started; maybe we should have called you sprout instead, but it just didn't have the same ring to it!
I think your husband is a genius to have come up with your business name, it's as perfect as your delectable treats!
Mom

Sayo said...

cute story :) good luck with your etsy shop! (i might just have to order something from you, it looks so good!)

Shop With Amy said...

Off to a great start:) I love the story of your name, very cute!

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

Congratulations on the new blog! It looks like you're off to a great start!

Vanilla Bean Organic Bake Shop said...

Wow guys! Thanks for all the great comments - I really appreciate it!

Kristin said...

Your shop looks so tasty!!...(I'm a bean too...hee hee...Me and a friend of mine have called each other "bean" for years...which is short for "green bean" which is what I called my first car..ha ha, your story is cuter!!)

:)

w said...

nice! welcome to the blogging world.

your brownies want to come home with me.

genuinelygreen said...

Love this! Looking forward to adventures in organic baking. ;)

Hyla said...

I like the name VanillaBean very cute!

For the longest time, my mom called my oldest JellyBean. My second oldest is called Moose, his name is Sheamus and my used made it sound Italian by calling him Shea-moose-io
and then it just got shortened to Moose. He is only 2 3/4 though!
And our youngest is named Guinevere but we call her "Pixie" because most of the time she looks like she will just take flight!

I liked reading your blog!
~Hyla
http://earthyfinds.blogspot.com

Hey Harriet said...

What a gorgeous first post! Welcome to the blogosphere! Looking forward to reading & seeing more :)

Earmark Social said...

BEAN! is perfect! I actually call alot of things bean, sometimes i call my husband Bean, sometimes my cat bean... i love your reasoning though, unfortunately I do not have a good reason like A-LIMA! that is too fun! Great blog and lovely story! I will be sure to check out your shop as I am addicted to etsy baked goods :)

Earmark Social said...

BEAN! is perfect! I actually call alot of things bean, sometimes i call my husband Bean, sometimes my cat bean... i love your reasoning though, unfortunately I do not have a good reason like A-LIMA! that is too fun! Great blog and lovely story! I will be sure to check out your shop as I am addicted to etsy baked goods :)

wiregems said...

Great story, and just the kind of post I especially like...a little about you, a little about your business, and a lot of fun!